Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Review: The Vigilante's Bride by Yvonne Harris

Only a few left! Almost done.


Title: The Vigilante's Bride
Author: Yvonne Harris
Genre: Historical inspirational romance

Publisher: Bethany House
Date released: August 1st 2010
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0804-1
Stars (out of 5): *** 
Age rating: PG-12:
The Hero in this story is the ring leader in many lynching mobs, which is a pleasant thing and may be a bit gruesome, though I didn't find that to be true in this book.

Back cover (from Bethany House):

Is Her Kidnapper the Only Man Who Can Keep Her Safe?

Robbing a stagecoach on Christmas Eve and abducting a woman passenger is the last thing Luke Sullivan expected to do. He just wanted to reclaim the money stolen from his pa, but instead ended up rescuing a feisty copper-haired woman who was on her way to marry Sullivan's dangerous enemy.
Emily McCarthy doesn't take kindly to her so-called rescue. Still, she's hoping Providence will turn her situation for good, especially when it seems Luke Sullivan may just be the man of her dreams. But Luke has crossed a vicious man, a powerful rancher not used to losing, and Emily is the prize he's unwilling to sacrifice.


My Thoughts:
The Vigilante’s Bride, started out strong, but got weak towards the end.


Emily is too old to stay at the orphanage, so the Board is sending her away to be a mail-order bride. No amount of arguing on her side will get them to change her mind, and next thing Emily knows, she half way to Montana. Enter Luke Sullivan, vigilante, and cattle-rustler-punisher. He hangs a criminal every other week, but the job has gotten too much for Luke, and he decides to head back to the only home he has known, to the orphanage. But, while stopped at a tavern, Luke over hears that his enemy, the man who stole his families land, is expecting a shipment on the stage, that very night. What ensues is calamity filled evening for both Emily and Luke.

I liked how Emily wasn’t a simpering female, but I feel as if her character could have been stronger and more detailed. Luke was one of the more interesting characters and definitely had a history I wanted to know more about. I did like the romance between Emily and Luke was sweet, but it seems that Bartholomew Axel, Luke's enemy and the man who ordered Emily from the orphanage to be his bride, didn’t care as much as the synopsis on the back of the book. I think I would have liked Bartholomew to fight more, to get Emily back; at least then there would have been more actions. The book had some nice details that draw me in, but the plot and overall story lost me and left me wanting. This is not to say, you shouldn’t give it a try.

*This book was given to me by the publisher in return for my honest review. I was not compensated in any way or influenced to write a positive review*

 
 
If you'd like to know more about Yvonne Harris and her books, go to:
The Publisher
Her Website
Goodreads





Love Y'all,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments so feel free to leave as many and as long of a comment as you want! So type away!