Friday, December 31, 2010

My Review: In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Only one left. I can't belive I actually did it! Well, almost.


Title: In Every Heartbeat
Author: Kim Vogel Sawyer
Genre: Historical inspirational romance

Publisher: Bethany House
Date released: Sep. 10
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0510-1
Stars (out of 5): **1/2
Age rating: PG-12
There wasn't anything untoward, but I did feel that I older reader and especially those in college, would enjoy this book more.

 Back cover (from Bethany House):
As three friends who grew up in the same orphanage head off to college together, they each harbor a special plan for the future. Libby Conley hopes to become a famous journalist. Pete Leidig believes God has called him to study to become a minister. And Bennett Martin plans to pledge a fraternity, find a place to belong, and have as much fun as possible. But as tensions rise around the world on the brink of World War I, the friends' differing aspirations and opinions begin to divide them, as well.


When Libby makes a shocking discovery about Pete's family, will it drive a final wedge between the friends or bond them in ways they never anticipated?

My Thoughts:
In Every Heartbeat centers on three friends, all orphans and all starting off their first year at college, together. Bennett Martin has only one goal while at college; to get in to a fraternity. Pete Leidig is on a mission to become a pastor, but not before he confronts the family who abandoned him. Libby Conley wants to be a journalist, but feels the teachers are holding her back. Bennett did add life to the plot, which I like and Pete with his family trials made the story line all that more interesting. When Libby started writing those romance serials for the women’s’ magazine, I had high hopes. But, besides all that, the story just feels short for me.  The romance between to Libby and Pete was…less then sparkling; it was a little rushed and I didn’t feel it was very romantic at all. To me it felt as if Libby and Pete “agreed” to fall in love together rather than just let it happen.  And I’m sure it’s just how I interpreted it, but I felt the author “put down” romance novels. See, when Libby starts writing the romance stories, Pete starts his campaign against them. In the end, Libby sees that Pete is right and that her romance stories are bad and shouldn’t be published.  What I didn’t see and I was pretty sure I would, was the author explaining how without God, romance is empty and filthy, but when we have romance that centers around God and is, in fact, a reflection of God’s love for us, then it is the purest and most lovely thing. This was not so in In Every Heartbeat and I’ll say that left me a little more than disappointed. I thought this book was okay, but wouldn’t read it again, that’s not to say, you shouldn’t.  
*This book was given to me by the publisher in return for my honest review. I was not compensated in any way or influenced to write a positive review*   



If you'd like to learn more about Kim Vogel Sawyer and her books, go to:
The Publisher
Her Website
Goodreads





Love Y'all,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments so feel free to leave as many and as long of a comment as you want! So type away!