Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Review: The Sheriff's Surrender by Susan Page Davis

Everyone is making up New Year's resolution for 2011, and I have a few of my own I've come up with, but one of them will actually begin before the new year. See, I've been so behind on reviews that I have a stack of them waiting to be written, so my resolution is too complete all my book reviews before 2011, so that I'll be able to start the new year with a fresh book review pile. And so, the challenge begins...NOW!



Title: The Sheriff's Surrender
Author: Susan Page Davis
Series: The Ladies' Shooting Club Series #1

Publisher: Barbour publishing
Genre: Inspirational historical romance
Date released:  December 1st 2009
ISBN: 1602605629

Stars (out of 5): ***
Age rating: 12 & up
There wasn't anything inappropriate and there was hardly any romance to speak of. There were two murders, but not gruesome enough to be "scary".



Back cover (from):
A murder in Fergus, Idaho, has the town’s women scared. But the men don’t seem able to stop the rash of thefts, assaults, and vandalism that follow. Half a dozen women band together to arm themselves against trouble. The gunsmith's plain sister, the emporium's owner, a couple of rancher's wives and saloon girls take their shooting lessons seriously. The men are skeptical at first and slightly amused. The new minister's wife shocks the town by joining the club, and other women follow her lead. When they show no sign of letting up on their drill, the men beg the sheriff to disband the club and put their women back where they belong. Those are fighting words to the ladies. Domestic rebellion threatens until a new murder grabs everyone's attention. Will the sheriff and his men find the killer and put him away? Or will that honor belong to the Ladies' Shooting Club?

My Thoughts:
I liked The Sheriff's Surrender, but didn't "love it". I thought the characters were written well and I liked the overall style of this book. At first seeing this book, I thought the story would center around Gert, but that was not so. The plot focused more on the general store owner and Ladies Shooting club, as a whole. And for a romance novel, there didn't seem to be a whole lot at all and the only thing that kept me reading was the murder mystery aspect of the story. Though, I will say, I enjoyed the antics of Ladies Shooting Club and that also made the story more exciting.
Overall, I liked this book, but I probably wouldn't read it again.

*This book was given to me by the publisher in return for my honest review. I was not compensated in any way or  influenced to write a positive review*


To learn more about Susan Page Davis and her books go to:
Her Website
Goodreads





Love Y'all,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments so feel free to leave as many and as long of a comment as you want! So type away!